Monday February 1, 2010
During the months of December 2009 and January 2010, Bridge Ratings conducted interviews with over 3000 Internet radio listeners to determine their current and intended Internet radio listening preferences.
Highlights of the study are:
- Just over 60 million Americans listen to some form of Internet radio in a typical week. This includes both AM/FM simulcast streams and Internet-only radio (e.g. Crystalradio.ca, Pandora, AccuRadio).
- 84% of this group regularly listens for at least five minutes to AM/FM simulcast streams in a typical week.
- 62% of the total streaming group regularly listens for at least five minutes listening to Internet-only streams.
- 77 million Americans will listen to Internet radio streams (on both computers and mobile devices) by January 1, 2015.
- Based on interviews which measured satisfaction and fatigue levels, we are projecting that by that date the percentage listening to AM/FM simulcast streams will fall to 81% while those listening to Internet-only radio streams will increase to 72%.
- The percentage of streaming listeners for AM/FM simulcasts and Internet-only will reach parity by the end of 2016 (77%).